About Me

My photo
Dublin, Ireland
Hi, I'm Dermot Nolan, and I became a Master of Wine (MW) in 1997, and resigned from the Institute of Masters of Wine in 2023 after being an MW for exactly 26 years. I opened a wine shop in DĂșn Laoghaire, Ireland, called The Wine Library, which closed in 2018, and this is my personal wine blog. I will do my utmost to be fair and responsible in my posts – please read my Who Pays article in re the ethics of wine trips and writing. I have worked in wine education, retail, and consultancy since 1990. I was a Director of the Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW) from 2008 to 2014 and was also a member of the Events Committee, founder of the Trips Committee, and member of the Governance Committee. Having had problems with potentially libellous comments from unidentifiable posters, I now require that if you post a comment, you must identify yourself properly or it won't be published. Please note that I do not review products or services on request so kindly don't ask. I value my independence and I believe my readers (few that they may be) do so also.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Man of La Mancha

The second tasting of the day was a portfolio tasting of Vinos Tito's wines. This excellent importer of Spanish wines is run by Rafael Salazar and Antonio Lorente and they have done a magnificent job over the last number of years in bringing some excellent new wines into ireland. Their job today was not made any easier by the conflict with the Australian tasting or Mr Obama's visit but I'm glad I made it there.
Highlights included the Portal del Monsant Santbru Blanc 2009, DO Montsant made exclusively from white garnacha and really seriously good! Who'd ever expect to hear that of garnacha blanca? Other whites that impressed were the Bodegas Ponce Reto Albilla 2010, DO Machuela from an unheard of variety albilla, not to be confused with the better known (??) albillo!! This reminded me of a Vin Jaune from the Jura, being soft, creamy and spicy and one of the most interesting wines I've tasted for quite some time. The Rafael Palacios As Sortes Godello 2009, DO Valdeorras was also very good, with an amazing blend of rich creaminess on the mid-palate and a lovely fresh zingy finish. Finally the Alonso del Yerro Ossian Verdejo 2008, DO Rueda got a one word tasting note: yummy!
Among the reds, I really enjoyed the Portal del Priorat Somni 2007, DO Priorat which had power and elegance, the Bodega Maranones Treinta Mil Maravadies 2009 which is really tasty but needs a little time, the fabulous Artuke K4, DOCa Rioja which was a stunning blend of tempranillo and graciano and seriously good and the surprisingly soft Rafael Cambra Dos 2008, DO Valencia which, though a blend of the two cabernets, was extremely supple and drinkable.
There were many other good to very good wines but these are the ones which stood out for me, today.

No comments: