About Me

My photo
Dublin, Ireland
Hi, I'm Dermot Nolan, and I became a Master of Wine (MW) in 1997, and resigned from the Institute of Masters of Wine in 2023 after being an MW for exactly 26 years. I opened a wine shop in Dún Laoghaire, Ireland, called The Wine Library, which closed in 2018, and this is my personal wine blog. I will do my utmost to be fair and responsible in my posts – please read my Who Pays article in re the ethics of wine trips and writing. I have worked in wine education, retail, and consultancy since 1990. I was a Director of the Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW) from 2008 to 2014 and was also a member of the Events Committee, founder of the Trips Committee, and member of the Governance Committee. Having had problems with potentially libellous comments from unidentifiable posters, I now require that if you post a comment, you must identify yourself properly or it won't be published. Please note that I do not review products or services on request so kindly don't ask. I value my independence and I believe my readers (few that they may be) do so also.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Burgundy - the lovliest wine region in the world

Yes, there might be places with more extreme scenery (the Western Cape, for example) but nowhere can really produce wines like you get in Burgundy. They aren't all good but the best are fantastic and really can change the way you think about wine. Linda Jotham MW came over to give this lecture and presented a very good class with a great tasting. As always, stockists/suppliers in parentheses, details at the end.

We started with Cave de Lugny Mâcon-Lugny “Eugène Blanc” 2008, (OD), €10.99 a very tasty white with the fresh acidity one associates with this vintage. Ripe and round in a tighter style than is normal for Macon, this is a very good wine at a very good price. This was followed by Dauvissat Chablis “Saint-Pierre” 2007, (BD) €20.00, a very elegant and mineral style. As is usual, tasting blind, many confused these two - even the MW students did this in Bordeaux last week. Then, a real classy wine, Olivier Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 2006, (OB) €39.85, really classic with lovely depth and complexity.
Then on to the reds, a task made slightly difficult by having a good few 2006s. First off, the lovely fruity Domaine de la Chapelle des Bois Fleurie 2007, (BD) €17.50, which I find to be a really good Fleurie - fruity but with some depth. Then a firmer than usual Jean-Marc Joblot Givry 1er Cru “Clos de la Servoisine” 2006, (BD) €30.60, showing Jean-Marc's classic cherry fruity style but with more tannic grip than normal. Very good from a poor year. Next a sadly poor Joseph Drouhin Volnay 2006, (GL) €41.00 - I say poor because the wine tasted almost as though corked. This is a shame as I rate Drouhin wines highly and I can only put this down to the poor vintage. Then the Robert Chevillon Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru “Vaucrains” 2006, (BD) €70.00 - expensive but Chevillon makes great wines which show the NSG style in almost textbook style. This was pretty good, given the year, having a good depth of fruit balancing the firm tannins. age for a few years but not as much as a 2005, say. Lastly, the Joseph Drouhin Grands-Echezeaux 2004, from my own cellar, showing some evolution on both eye and nose, with some bettroot and cabbage notes showing, and perhaps a hint of green notes. The palate is classic ageing Burgundy, a lovely mix of red pinot fruits, some vegetal notes as well as well-integrated oak flavours. Elegant, quite long and perhaps beginning to show it's age a bit.
The stockists are GL = Gilbey's, a wholesaler who can only sell to retailers, BD = Burgundy Direct, OB = O'Brien's, OD = Oddbins.

2 comments:

dd.delany said...

Hi Dermot, my name is David Delany and i work in an off licence in Portlaoise, i'm trying to find the wholesale supplier of the domaine de la chapelle fleurie but i'm having trouble in doing so. I had a customer in with me enquiring about it. I was wondering if you could help me in any way. Thank you.

DermotMW said...

Hi David - there's a link in the article to Burgundy Direct who are the wholesalers.